Tourism and visiting friends

uk visitor visaIf your friend or a relative wants to visit the UK as a tourist or to stay with you as a guest in the UK, he/she should apply to come as a general visitor (or as a child visitor if he/she is under 18). In most cases he/she is allowed to stay for up to 6 months as a visitor. And the visa can not be extended.

Basic requirements

In order to be able to come to the United Kingdom as a general visitor, your friend or a relative must be able to show that:

  • he/she intends to visit the United Kingdom for up to 6 months, or up to 12 months if he/she is accompanying an academic visitor;
  • he/she intends to leave the United Kingdom at the end of his/her visit;
  • he/she has enough money to support and accommodate himself/herself without working or help from public funds, or you will support and accommodate him/her;
  • he/she can meet the costs of the journey;

He/she must also show that, during his/her visit, he/she does not intend to:

  • take employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • undertake a course of study;
  • marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor;
  • receive private medical treatment

Necessary documents

Your friend or relative should provide the correct documents with his application, otherwise the entry clearance officer may refuse his/her application. Below, you can find a common list of necessary documents.

Information about you friend or relative

  • A current and valid passport
  • 1 passport-size colour photograph
  • Previous passport, if any
  • Evidence of his/her marital status
  • Evidence of his/her current employment or studies

Information about your friend or relative finances and employment

  • Bank statement or letter
  • Payslips
  • Tax returns
  • Evidence of income

Accommodation in UK and travel detail

  • Details of accommodation and return travel bookings
  • A planned itinerary
  • Supporting letter(s) from you if you invite or sponsoring your friend or relative

Support your friend or relative

Documents you should provide to support your friend’s or relative’s application at the UK Embassy in Russia:

  • Evidence of your employment
  • Your bank statements
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Evidences that you have met your friend in real life or evidences to certify your relationship
You will get the full list of documents from us according to your personal circumstances.