Other workers categories

Domestic workers

The "domestic worker in a private household" category allows overseas employers to bring their domestic workers with them when they visit or move to the UK. To come here as a domestic worker, applicant must be an established member of your employer's staff.
Domestic workers may include cleaners, chauffeurs, gardeners, cooks, those providing personal care for the employer or a member of the employer's family, and nannies if they are providing a personal service relating to the running of the employer's household.
Applicant will be given permission to stay in the UK for a fixed period of time. At the end of this period, applicant must return home or apply to extend your stay.
Domestic worker are allowed to change employer while he/she is in the UK, but must still be employed as a domestic worker.

Contract seaman

Contract seamen employed on fishing vessels operating in UK territorial waters are affected by UK immigration law, and describes how they can apply for permission to enter or stay and work in UK.
Employment within UK territorial waters (within the 12-mile limit) is subject to immigration control. If applicant are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, and want to work on fishing vessels that operate to any extent within UK territorial waters, you require permission to do this from the UK Border Agency.

Representatives of overseas business

Applicant may be able to come to the UK under this immigration route if he/she is:

  • the sole representative of an overseas company, intending to set up a wholly owned subsidiary or register a UK branch for an overseas parent company; or
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation who is being posted on a long-term assignment as a representative of your overseas employer.